Sunday, January 28, 2018

Northern Lights… not the pretty ones…. Part 3

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... I hope it is as satisfying as these lights

If you read the previous posts, Part 1 and Part 2, you know I am at the mental stage of replacing the exhaust elbow on our Northern Lights generator.  I made it past the denial stage. With the new stainless elbow on the way, I figured I should start pulling off the old exhaust elbow so it is all ready to put back together when the new part comes.  I only had to remove 3 bolts that go into the exhaust manifold and remove a nut on a stud coming out of the manifold. 
I was most worried about the stud breaking.  I sprayed the nut on the stud with Kroil… a lot… and it came off, no problem!  Yea!  Now on to the three bolts.  No way to spray them since the threads are buried.  First bolt, barely tried to turn it, the head popped right off.  Second… Same.  Third…. Same.  The bolts were totally corroded through.  Bummer.
 
The Stud is still there but the Bolts are all broke off
 
I spent the next two weekends and 20 plus hours trying to drill out the old bolts from the end of the exhaust manifold while it was on the engine.  I definitely did not want to pull the exhaust manifold and risk breaking more things!  The space was too tight for a drill.  New Dremel, right angle Dremel attachment, Dremel bits, Dremel bit chuck, screw extractors… the list of tools goes on.  Finally drilled a hole through about 1/2 the diameter of one bolt. (top left bolt in the picture above)  It was too much.
 


Back to the internet.  I already spent about $200 on tools to try and remove the old screws. Almost $600 on hose, end caps, and a stainless elbow.  Why not spend another $800 on a new exhaust manifold and stainless bolts for it??  My time and sanity was worth way more, my only fear was would I break something else?  Before ordering the new manifold I removed the old one.   A couple hours later it was off and nothing was broken.  Also discovered Northern Lights puts the thermostat (hot water temperature sensor that opens/closes at the right temperature) in the exhaust manifold.  Not ideal for maintenance.  It was probably bad too and since I was there I might as well replace it.


The rusty looking part under the spring is the Thermostat
 
The new manifold plus parts coming and the new stainless exhaust elbow sitting here for a couple of weeks, time to get ready to put this thing back together… hopefully for the last time.  After pulling off the old manifold I noticed there was no paint left on the engine block under the manifold, but there was a lot of rust starting.  Cleaned it up.  Ordered some high temp Rustoleum primer and paint.  At least it will look like something someone will want to buy off Craigslist!

View from the side of the engine with the manifold off.  Primer grey is looking better than rust!


Always happier to put something back together, I started the long process of cleaning, painting and reassembling parts.  And guess what?  It runs! Runs very well.  We now have way more water coming out the exhaust and the generator no longer overheats!  So all is good in the end, just lots of time and money which defines boat ownership pretty well.
Out with the old in with the new!


New Exhaust Manifold with New Elbow and Rubber End Caps

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment